Hello, this is my love letter to you.
When I read what you wrote about your dreams, I remembered where we were at a few years ago and how we fought so hard for our dreams.
My parents didn't think I could make it to university [I was too lazy and my parents thought everyone needed perfect scores to get into university], and your parents couldn't take the idea of you going to music school.
And I was just thinking, "What has happened to that determination we used to have?" I don't know how much time we spent just DREAMING about all the places we wanted to go to - all the schools we had set our hearts upon, all the adventures we knew could only happen in places like that - and telling each other about them. [Remember Berklee?? Haha]
We dreamt and dreamt and were disappointed because we had to settle for only a pale version of our dreams.
But we lived with it, and we thanked God for the little opportunities that came.
And the other day, I was in the toilet [how appropriate since you're always going to the toilet!] and it suddenly struck me. During Youth Camp, we had this AMAZING speaker and he was sharing his testimony to us - how God spoke to him and told him he would one day be leading worship, and his friends told him he sounded like a frog. But now, he doesn't even know Malay and yet he's leading concerts in Malay [or rather, Bahasa Indonesia] in Indonesia!
And I was thinking you really don't know how lucky you are. Or how magnificently God wants to use you. Can you imagine, he barely made it past secondary school and he has never had the chance to go to music school and God is using him in ways he just cannot imagine.
All because he held on to this dream that God gave him.
Sometimes I feel a little bitter that I have to be in Singapore when all my friends are elsewhere - better places, less competitive environments - so I understand how you feel about going overseas. Sometimes I really don't understand - why would God give me dreams if this is all I can achieve? Why would he choose this specific place for me and not the one I was SO SURE would be best for me?
And I remember, the day my dad made me make my decision - my heart was totally set against this one, and I was crying because I couldn't understand why God made all these crazy things happen against my will, why He couldn't have just shut all the doors if He really wanted me to go through this one, at least I'd think I wasn't good enough for it, and he was basically preaching to me about Jacob and how God had to use all kinds of crazy methods to get him to fulfill His purpose. And my dad said, "God can use all kinds of ways to bring you to the destination He has promised for you."
And some time ago, years ago, you wrote about this vision that God gave you. I will never forget it, because I am waiting for it to come to pass. When God told you that one day you will lead your generation.
And I understand that sometimes we think, "Are you serious God? Look at me! I'm not one of those geniuses...I had to work so hard to get to where I am." And I remember also that you once told me that you were not naturally talented in music, but you practised really really really hard because you loved it so much.
God will honour that.
When I look back on all the things we have achieved since then, how we have defied not just our own expectations in some ways, but those of our parents as well. How we believed in each other because no one else believed in our dreams. How we have fought for what we believed in, stood firm in our convictions, and won over the favour of our parents - I can only say that it was all God's work.
Not too long ago, all we did was sit around and laugh at each other for being so rough. Not too long ago, we were complaining about all the teaching we had to do and how annoying kids are and WHY CAN'T WE JUST GO TO SCHOOL LIKE EVERYONE ELSE WHY DID WE HAVE TO WORK AND EARN OUR OWN MONEY TO GET TO GO TO SCHOOL?
And now you're already a champion pianist. (Correction electone player!)
You have already taken ten million steps to achieve that dream of yours that didn't seem possible just a few years back. You may have 30 million more steps to go, and sometimes things just don't go your way, or time seems to stand still for a while, but trust, trust in God the way we trusted in Him.
Just now I read this quote, "People are afraid to be amazing."
I know I am.
But I know you are not. You've always been so strong and independent, and you've done things I wouldn't dare step out to do. And I think that always, that is the first step to God allowing you to do something extraordinary for Him.
He knows the desires of your - our - heart, we couldn't even keep it from Him if we tried. Because these dreams, God first dreamt them for us. And it is amazing to be able to live dreams that you know God picked for you.
So be amazing every day of your life.
We always talked about how we'd be talking about the same old thing when we're 80 and in rocking chairs or something like that. I pray that when that happens all we'd have to talk about is the goodness and faithfulness of our Lord Jesus Christ.
All we'd have is a childlike awe over how God first loved us, how He chose us, how He made things happen, how He elevated us above our circumstances and beyond our talents and natural abilities, how He humbled us [because sometimes we start thinking we're better than we really are!] when we needed it, how He encouraged us, how He picked up the fragments of our dreams that we had tossed aside and patched it back for us.
Sometimes I wish God would hurry things a little, because I'm tired of being "stagnant", I want to go out, do productive things, HELP PEOPLE, STOP BEING SO PASSIVE but I know that He holds everything in His hands.
And He has seen our future, He has seen everything that He has planned for us. And now He's just saying, "Why don't you wait a little while? When you're ready, when the time is right, it'll come. Just enjoy every moment and don't stop dreaming."
This was taken from Becky's blog.. she wrote this to me and i am so grateful for a friend like her. Though we're far apart but she knows a lot more than i do about myself , sometimes. So thank you girl. Yes i will JUST ENJOY EVERY MOMENT AND DON"T STOP DREAMING.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home